- 8 oz/ 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp double action baking powder (US) or 1 tsp baking powder (UK)
- 4 oz/110g soft butter or margarine
- 2 oz/ 55g granulated sugar
- 4 0z/ 110g mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz/ 55g currants
- 1 medium egg
- 1 – 3 tbsp milk
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Oil for greasing
- NOTE: Some reviewers of this recipe have suggested adding 1 tsp mixed spice**
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large baking bowl, add the softened butter or margarine, and lightly rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and the dried fruit and mix so all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the egg and 1 tbsp of the milk and mix to create a stiff dough. If the mixture is still dry add milk a tbsp at a time until required consistency.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Using a tablespoon divide the mixture into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen.
- Posted in: Uncategorized