Lilac Dreaming by Janice Konstantinidis.
- 8 oz/ 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp double action baking powder (US) or 1 tsp baking powder (UK)
- 4 oz/110g soft butter or margarine
- 2 oz/ 55g granulated sugar
- 4 0z/ 110g mixed dried fruit
- 2 oz/ 55g currants
- 1 medium egg
- 1 – 3 tbsp milk
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Oil for greasing
- NOTE: Some reviewers of this recipe have suggested adding 1 tsp mixed spice**
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large baking bowl, add the softened butter or margarine, and lightly rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and the dried fruit and mix so all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the egg and 1 tbsp of the milk and mix to create a stiff dough. If the mixture is still dry add milk a tbsp at a time until required consistency.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Using a tablespoon divide the mixture into 12 mounds evenly spaced on the 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen.
I planted the last of the bulbs for this year. This would bring the total number planted since we began this garden to about 1000 :-O Maybe more.
Things are looking good. We’ve have plenty of rain. A couple of heavy frosts saw the end of the Hydrangeas and Fushia… they’ll be back.
Many many bulb tips to be seen now, always such a joy to me.
Time to prune the roses now. I suspect there’s a gopher under another one….more netting to be made.
A nice day to be working in the garden.
It’s the winter Solstice. I am always happy to see this day pass as I know there will be a lot of activity in the garden soon.